LEAP Intensive English Program
Welcome to Learning English for Academic and Professional Purposes (LEAP), the intensive English program at Wright State University!
About the Program
LEAP is located on Wright State University’s main campus in Dayton, Ohio, home to the famous Wright Brothers and the world’s first practical airplane, the 1905 Wright Flyer III.
LEAP provides full-time intensive English instruction and offers non-native speakers the linguistic, academic and social skills they need to be successful in an American university. Students come to LEAP for a variety of reasons. Some study in LEAP for a short time to improve their English language skills; others seek degrees from Wright State University.
|Full-time Duration:||Varies per program|
|Starting in:||May, August, January|
|Location:||Fairborn, OH, United States|
- integrated curriculum which reinforces input and results in greater retention.
- TOEFL waiver for admission to Wright State University for qualified undergraduate and graduate students who successfully complete the LEAP program. Visit the University Center for International Education Admissions page to find out the admission criteria for available programs.
- Test Preparation course offered to Level 4 students to practice for IELTS and TOEFL tests.
- experienced faculty, all with advanced degrees in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) or a related field and experience teaching English at the university level.
- writing classes in computer labs using the latest computer technology.
- collaboration with Wright State University’s TESOL Program and many university courses.
- field trips to local sites of interest and other extracurricular activities.
- access to all Wright State University’s academic and recreational facilities.
“Wright State has excellent research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. I can work with leading experts in my field.”
Chao Liu (China) // M.B.A.
Students can get involved through activities like these:
- LEAP Cultural Hours
- Field Trips to Cincinnati/Columbus Zoo, Carillon Historical Park, Cincinnati Museum Center, Downtown Dayton, John Bryan State Park, Young’s Jersey Dairy and other local places of interest
- Native-speaking Conversation Partners
- Collaborations with university classes
- Movie and Game Afternoons
- Dinners at local restaurants and teachers’ homes
- Ladies Tea and Talk
- Haunted House trip for Halloween
- Access to all University Center for International Education (UCIE) activities
- Access to all Wright State University clubs and organizations
- …and much more!